We want children to feel happy in the absence of their parents, to recognise the nursery staff as a source of comfort, help and friendship and to be able to share with their parents afterwards the new experiences and skills they have learnt.
We also want parents to feel happy when leaving their child with us, and feel safe in the knowledge that their child will be well cared for in their absence.
To do this we will:
- Encourage parents to come and visit the nursery at any time to meet the staff, prior to their child starting with us.
- Support both parents and child in the difficult transition period. (We understand that it is as difficult for the parents as it is for the child).
- Introduce new children into the nursery on a staggered basis in order to maintain quality of care and attention.
- We encourage the parent to leave the child for a short period at first, and slowly increasing the length of time.
- All children are individual, and settle at their own pace. Staff are here to support not only the children but also the parents.
Children will not play or learn successfully if they are anxious or unhappy, it is our aim to support the children in this process, and believe that our Settling in Policy aims to do this in an appropriate way for both parent and child.
If there are any other ways we can help you and your child to settle, please let us know.